The Student Energy Group believes in doing the right thing – always. We want you to know your rights regarding your personal data and what to expect when we collect and process it.
As a paperless company we need to ensure we hold the necessary information to contact you digitally regarding your account with us.
What information do we collect?
When you sign up we ask for some basic information in order to provide you with our services.
To provision your account we collect the following information:
- Your full name
- Your email address
- Your mobile number
- Your address
- Your date of birth
- Your payment information
- Your housemates contact information
We may also collect information about you or your housemates needs to help us understand if you have any special requirements as required by regulation. Where we request this there is always the option to not provide this.
If you work for one of our Business Customers we’ll collect the following information:
- Your full name
- Your business email address
- Your business phone number
- Your position at the business
For job applications we’ll collect the following information:
- Your full name
- Your email address
- Your phone number
- Other relevant personal data such as gender and date of birth
- Other relevant information you provide on your CV such as qualifications and career history.
How do we use personal information?
Most of the personal information we process is provided directly by you to fulfil the contract between us. For example, to assist with support issues, to process payments, and to provide your payment notices. As a paperless company we use your email and mobile number as primary contact points.
We also receive personal information indirectly from Accommodation For Students in the event you enquire with them regarding our services and consent for them to do so. The information exchanged will only be the data you provide and request to share with us. We’ll use this information to offer our services to you.
We use the information that you have given us in order to do the following:
- Fulfil our obligations as part of our contract with you
- Confirm your identity when you contact us
- Help you with any queries you contact us regarding
- Provide our services to you
- Manage our contracts with our suppliers
- Take and process payments
- Comply with any regulatory and legal obligations we are held to
- Comply with requests from law enforcement agencies
- Marketing purposes where you have given consent for us to do so
- Provide access to our website
- Improve our services
- Record calls for training and monitoring purposes
We may share this information with our suppliers when and if required to fulfil our contract, such as if a visit to your property is required to provide our services. This data will be shared by secure file transfer protocol and kept for the minimum amount of time required for the contract to be fulfilled.
What legal basis do we have for processing your personal data?
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), any company has to have a legal basis to process your personal information.
The lawful bases we rely on for processing this information are:
- Your consent. You are able to remove your consent at any time by contacting us at team@theStudentEnergyGroup.com
- We have a contractual obligations
- We have a legal obligations
- We have a legitimate interest
- We have a vital interest
- We need it to perform a public task
Where do we store and process personal data?
We ensure that appropriate security measures are in place when handling your personal data. Information may be held at our office, service providers, and agents as described above.
All data is stored within the UK or EEA.
How long do we keep your personal data for?
We will only ever retain your personal information for as long as is necessary for the performance of our contract or in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations. If you enquire with us we will retain your information for 12 months as legitimate interest.
We retain data to complete audits, identify returning customers, meet compliance requirements, and manage any legal claims.
We will destroy your personal data by obfuscating the data to remove any personal information.
Your data protection rights
Under data protection law, you have rights including:
- Your right of access – You have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information.
- Your right to rectification – You have the right to ask us to rectify personal information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
- Your right to erasure – You have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Your right to restriction of processing – You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Your right to object to processing – You have the the right to object to the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Your right to data portability – You have the right to ask that we transfer the personal information you gave us to another organisation, or to you, in certain circumstances.
- You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you.
How to contact us
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or wish to make a request.
How to complain
If you have any concerns about our use of your personal information, you can make a complaint to us at email@example.com
You can also complain to the ICO if you are unhappy with how we have used your data.
The ICO’s address:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113
ICO website: https://www.ico.org.uk